As chapter leader, you can change a membership type for memberships within your authorization level.To change membership type, the memberships must not be past your authorization level. For example, a local chapter leader can change a membership type if the membership has not been approved at the state level (i.e., submission level status is either Local or State). A state leader can change a membership type if the membership has not been approved at the national level (i.e., submission level status is either Local, State or National). Once a membership has been nationally approved, only national FFA staff can change a membership type due to potential financial implications.
For student chapters, not all states allow multi-year memberships (i.e., Three Year and Four Year). In the Actions area, you can easily view authorized membership types in your state by selecting the for Membership Type. Membership types should be assigned in the following manner:
- One Year: Grades 7 – 16 are eligible
- Three Year (optional): Grade 13 AND the member graduated during the most recent membership year (Availability is based on your state’s preference and/or your chapter’s affiliation status)
- Four Year (optional): Grades 12 (Availability is based on your state’s preference and/or your chapter’s affiliation status)
- Ag Ed Only (optional): Grades 7 – 16 are eligible (Availability is based on your chapter’s affiliation status)
Affiliation and membership types
For student chapters participating in the affiliation program, One Year is the only membership type allowed. Multi-year memberships (i.e., Three Year and Four Year) are not permitted. Affiliation is an ongoing, annual program based on actual student numbers and cannot be paid for in advance. In addition, all agricultural education students in an affiliated chapter are considered FFA members. As a result, Ag Ed Only is not permitted as well.
Locate membershipsUse Search and Advanced Search to locate the membership(s) to be changed.
- Select Student or Alumni – The default is Student unless you only have Alumni responsibilities
- Verify the current Membership Year is selected– The default is the current year
- Verify your Chapter is selected – Your chapter should be the default unless you manage multiple chapters
- In Advanced Search, narrow your search results by one or more of the following:
- Membership Type
- Submission Level Status
- Roster Method
- FFA ID
- First Name and Last Name – Entered either partially or completely
- Click Search
Change the membership typeWith the membership(s) identified, you can now change the membership type(s).
- In the grid area, select Membership(s) to be changed by one of the following methods:
- Select checkboxes to change one or more membership types
- Click the top-left checkbox to change all membership types on the current page
- Choose Select all ## memberships to change all membership types on all pages – This option only appears when there are more than 20 memberships
- In the Actions area, click the to open the Membership Type drop-down menu
- Select a Membership Type
- Click Change Membership Type
- Click OK to approve the action
Additional help: Change a membership type (PDF with screenshots)